Whether you’re taking for Virginia weddings to the other side of the state or to the other side of the world, there are certain things you need to do to start getting yourself ready for that amazing day and the beautiful locale where you’re headed to say your “I dos.”
That means it’s time to create your packing list.
You’ve got some needs to have – toiletries, marriage license, passport, and, of course, The Dress – but there are some other things you don’t want to forget either.
Here’s our most comprehensive packing list for that special day, for you and everyone involved.
Whenever you travel, there are important things to carry, but because you’re also getting married while in that distant locale, there are some extra you don’t want to forget.
- Your passport for international destinations or ID for U.S. locations
- Passport protector/carrier
- Travel Visa(s) – if applicable
- Copy of your birth certificate
- Local cash – you can get some ahead of time at some banks and other locations
- Boarding passes
- Hotel reservations
- Marriage license
- Divorce certificate – if you’re getting remarried
- Vendor contracts
- Credit cards & traveler checks
Apart from documents and clothing, there are a few other things you definitely don’t want to leave behind on this amazing adventure of tying the knot in a far off land.
- Phone & charger
- Camera & charger
- Laptop or tablet – if desired
- Outlet adapters – if applicable
- Extra eyeglasses
- Extra contacts
- Prescription medications & vitamins
- Sun hat
- Sweater or jacket – even beach destinations can get chilly in the evening!
Destination Specific Attire and Gear
Not everyone goes to the beach for their destination wedding, so be sure to plan accordingly based on your destination. If, for example, you’re going to the mountains, you’ll want to include mosquito repellent and rain gear, hiking gear, or camping gear.
Or, if you are hitting up the beach, don’t forget your swimsuit, beach blanket and towels, sandals, and a beach bag.
Check on the expected weather the week beforehand and pack accordingly to make sure you’ve got all your bases covered.
Wedding Essentials for the Bride
For the wedding itself, it feels like a million details are hovering over. So this part of the packing list is key to helping you keep organized as you get ready.
- Makeup brushes
- Skincare products
- Hairdressing accessories
- Wedding day clutch
- Your “something old”
- Your “something new”
- Your “something borrowed”
- Your “something blue”
- Wedding gown undergarments
- Clear nail polish to fix runs in stockings, fallen sequins, etc.
- De-wrinkling spray
- Portable steamer
Wedding Essentials for the Groom
The groom has equally important things he doesn’t want to forget and packing these ahead of time can help ensure he’s got less stress leading up to travel for the big day.
- Tuxedo or suit
- Tie or bowtie
- Any other wedding day jewelry
- Razor and shaving kit
Essentials for the Couple
As a couple, there are a few things to remember as well.
- Wedding itinerary/timeline
- Vendor gifts and thank you cards
- Gifts for the wedding party
- Gifts for guests
- Wedding bands
- Ring pillow
- Copies of your vows
- Wedding décor items that haven’t been shipped in advance
- Any other cards and gifts
- Honeymoon essentials
Other Clothing To Pack
While we’re in the whirlwind of wedding plans, we tend to think only of the big day and everything essential to that, but for the days at your destination before and after the ceremony, you’ll need some specific clothing as well.
- Rehearsal dinner attire, shoes, accessories
- Getting ready outfits
- Morning after brunch attire
- Wedding night lingerie
- Other outfits for the length of time you’re away
- Undergarments and socks
- Comfortable shoes, slippers, other footwear for anticipated activities
- Makeup and jewelry for other occasions
The Toiletries You’ll Need
And, of course, you have grooming and everyday skincare, etc. to take care of while away, so don’t forget these essentials!
- Face wash
- Body lotion
- Shampoo & conditioner
- Hairstyling products
- Razor & shave gel
- Manicure kit
- Toothbrush & toothpaste